December 5, 2007

8:00 pm
Hello again! We had a pretty good day today. During PT, I learned how to transfer David from the wheelchair. It didn't seem too hard but tonight when I practiced he was too tired and had trouble moving his right leg. He made it though! The Recreational Therapist was there to help.

Another swallow test today, and good results. We weren't there, but David said he did exceptional. You can't always believe everything he says, but some things you have to....Like after I transfered David from the wheelchair to a bench, I asked him, "Who is your favorite mom?" He answered correctly, "You!" Then I asked if he loved me and he said, "YES". Finally I made him tell me, "I love you." and he said sincerely, truthfully, and lovingly, "I love you." Now that we know he always tells the truth, later in the day Ryan and Kelli Manning were talking to him on the phone and he told them that he would be 15 on his birthday, and that he had TWO brain surgeries! Earlier he told me that he thinks he had some brain damage after a couple of falls snowboarding. That was probably true too, but he thinks that that is what the accident was. At this stage it is common for them to fabricate some information. (FUN STAGES!) He also hit another Aide and sent him to the ER! Pray for this stage and his mental state.

The Recreational Therapists came and asked David if he wanted to go to a Craft Fair in the main hospital. He wanted to go to get out of the building, so we (2 RTs, Nurse, David, and I) did. They took a picture of the two of us by a small, metal, Christmas tree, and I made a bookmarker. He made a candle by scooping lots of beads into a candle holder and then putting a candle in it, helped by some boy scouts who were really patient. The auditorium was packed full of people and activities, so we didn't stay long. David did all right being in a public place for about 15 minutes. Many moms at the Fischer House talk about how with brain trauma, their sons get very nervous and need to leave a store after a short time. The RTs said that this afternoon, David played Dominoes with them, told them that his dad was a "Great" Photographer", that he was stationed in Turkey and had done communications networking. They were really impressed with all the talking he was doing.

David told me tonight that the Respiratory Therapist told him that if he doesn't pull out his trachea anymore, that he might be able to get it out the end of the week. Oh yes, he did pull it out today in front of Laura! Yesterday, he coughed while the therapist was putting it back on him, and it shot out across the room in front of me! WOW! The therapist, Joe, just continued talking and asked me to look at the hole in his neck! I did!!!!!!
Continue praying for this "stage" of the game, that no one else gets hurt. Pray for David's mental state, he is saying somethings to make me feel he is unhappy! DUH! I know, but..... We read lots of scriptures today that Laura and Christa posted on the walls. He said he is having problems with his eyes and reading. He also recognizes his memory problems. I have reassured him that God isn't finished with him yet. He has come a long way this week, walking and talking! His brain is healing and will repair itself. Pray again for patience for all of us. Praise God that the nurses getting hit are understanding! They say they know that this can happen..... Patty

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

Patty
Thank God you are so patient Patty. You have the patience of Job. David is blessed to have you as his mom. My kids and I are praying for you and David and the doctors etc. God bless you and give you continued strength for each new day. God has plans for David.
I love you...Candace