Wednesday, December 12th, 2007

David had another sleepy day, even though they cut back on his sleeping medication. He barely woke up for physical therapy. Se (PT) let me practice transferring David from bed to the wheelchair, and back again. I’ve done it before, but it never hurts to practice. Poor David is the guinea pig though. He then rode a stationary bike with Se helping his left leg.

Georgette (OT) stretched his arm.

Speech (Bruce and Karen) watched him eat again, and he did well. Karen said that maybe he can have cake as well as his ‘In N Out’ shake for his birthday. Patty had better get busy baking!

The NeuroPsych lady could not wake David for his session with her, so she left with threats of coming back tomorrow.

A veteran in a wheelchair came by with his trained ‘care’ dog. I’m sure there is a real name for this type of service dog. It was half Labrador and half golden retriever. It responded to a lot more commands than I do. Really, just ask Patty! The dog jumped up on David’s bed and he petted him for a while until they both fell asleep. I think the dog was fakin’ it.

Tonight we took David to play BINGO in a large room at the hospital. A veteran's group puts it on with the help of sponsors. Tonight it was a local Starbucks. They supplied drinks and desserts, paid for the gifts, and brought a bunch of volunteers from the shop to help. Some called numbers, others checked when BINGO was called, others helped the patients who needed it. Some of the patients, like David, had family with them. David won $6 in coupons for the VA hospital store and two blankets. Not bad for free. Not being BINGO regulars, it took all of us, Patty, David, a nurse and me to watch his four cards.

We heard about the death of one of David’s best friend’s Dad. The family was devastated of course, and we mentioned this to David tonight. He called his friend, got his machine, and told Chris that he had heard about his Dad, and was very sorry, and asked for Chris to call him back. I was touched that even in David’s state he still wanted to comfort a friend.

Then David called Kelli and invited her to his going away party. We didn’t know he was going away, and we definitely know that he is not having a party. Whatever!

After David fell asleep tonight (BINGO can wear a guy out) Patty saw the young mom with two kids who lives in our Fisher House in the rec. room. She started to play a game with the kids (they speak mostly Spanish) so that the mom could finish the conversation she was having on her cell phone. I think that Patty was playing teacher (she admitted that preschool teachers have a special calling) with these two, ages 4 and 2 and they won.

We are looking forward to another great day tomorrow and excited for what the Lord has in store for us!

Thanks for your prayers,

Steve

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Patty, Steve and David: The reason I had called today was to tell you that I sent cards for the guys and wanted you to check to make sure you get them. I expected a long line at the postoffice and since there wasn't one I didn't have time to write much. I will send the gift cards later that should have been in the cards but my packet didn't come until I got home tonight. Is there a Target nearby?
Let me know and if not I will wait until the next packet comes and hope there are other stores included. DId you ever get the CD's I sent with healing songs and scriptures? At Walter Reed Hospital? The singer, Vern Jackson, sang at Bob's 80th birthday party. Love, Mom and Grandma Haldin

Anonymous said...

i thought he said i was invited to his ging away party he said it like 4 times... i was confused. i forgot to ask you guys waht that was haha...hmmm maybe he is planning to escape haha and then having a party after that ahaha

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am so touched every time I read an update. Patti, Steve, Laura, and Christa your love and strength for David leaves me breathless. David is so fortunate to have your love and support. Arden and I pray daily that God will give David progress in his recovery. David you here that? Arden and I are praying for you every day that God will strengthen you. We love you bro. I was looking at some of the pictures on your blogspot and was impressed with what a studly young man you are. From the ocean to the mountains you are full of life and smiles. We can't wait to see you. Until then we will contintue to pray for you.
Ephesians 3:14-21...may you be strengthened and Christ be praised
much love huddleston family
trevor and arden christmas

gary h said...

Steve and Patty, just read a article in washingtonpost.com about military charities, and how bad most are, but how great Fisher House is. They give back 90% of their income. Quite impressive. Makes you appreciate them even more!!!