Friday, December 7, 2007

Hi again! Today was another good day for David, but also quiet one. He worked hard in PT- walking slowly with a walker and help from the trainers, and also balancing on his left foot while he tapped his right one forward and backward. It wasn't very graceful, but definitely showed how much stronger he is getting! During OT his left arm was strecthed and Georgette said that his range of motion is getting better, and he's able to stretch a couple degrees more than he used to be able to. All good things there! His left ankle has more flex too, the goal is to get it to 90 degrees, and I think Se said he was down to around 120 degrees (??). I noticed his foot was really dry, so I asked him if he wanted some lotion, and he said "sister will you put it on?" I was thrilled that he called me sister again! Christa got a call from David the other day and he said, "Hey sister..." and kept talking just like the old David would. I stinkin' love it!

After those sessions, Bruce came back in (speech) and gave him some pudding. This time David fed himself, Bruce just held the cup for him. He said it tasted good! Bruce also came back in the afternoon to let him try some cranberry juice. David liked it as well and even held the cup a few times for himself. Sometimes it seems frustrating that they won't just give him some real food, but then I watch David eat slowly and carefully and realize that he's learning to swallow and eat again, and it's okay that he takes his time. A funny thing I have to tell is that David was scratching his nose (he gets no privacy folks) and we asked if he needed a kleenex. Bruce laughed and told David just to flick it. And David listened. There wasn't anything on his finger, but he did the flicking motion which was hillarious! My brother's still in there and still freaking funny, facial expressions or not! He did give a couple smiles today, but it's still only the right side that actually smiles.

I missed his session with the recreational therapist, but lately David's been playing Dominoes with him, so maybe they did the same today. I did see him with the neuropsychologist again, and he was a little more talkative with her than any other time today. His responses were appropriate and often accurate, but he told one story that he thought happened today but actually happened before his accident. He had a hard time remembering things again, and I was really amazed at how much response time he needed (and used) before answering a question. It was a pause that went passed the normal time, then into uncomfortable waiting, then a little bit more silence and David would answer. He wasn't looking at her either, which made me think he was off and daydreaming, but he was actually just thinking. I realized again that I need to be more patient talking to him. Not that I'm impatient, it's just that when it gets to the uncomfortable silence I usually give him another option or question, which probably sets him back even further. Anyway the NP did really well at listening and probing appropriately.

I mentioned that David was really quiet today, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the trache is out. He mentioned that it hurts to talk and I've noticed that air still comes out through the bandage in his neck. When he did talk, it wasn't a quiet voice, it was very understandable. And part of the reason I felt like he didn't talk much was because his days are packed full of therapies (which is great!) and during his breaks he really wants and needs his sleep. I guess I got to observe more the last two days than I'm used to. This weekend he only has PT/OT, so hopefully we'll get to talk with him when he's more alert, and maybe he'll want to make a few phone calls.

I was really excited today to hear that some of David's nurses and therapists are reading David's blogs too. It's great because then they get to see the David that we all love and are praying to get back, and ALL the support he has through all of you. They really do work so hard for him, and he's not always the patientest patient (did you get that?). We're grateful for all they do!! Oh, and I just thought I'd mention some more of the amazing people here- there have been a bunch of people who donate items to the Fisher House and to the patients in the hospital, and also to their families. Today they gave us some toys for Brea and gifts for David, and there are so many cards that come too! I can't believe I didn't know that places like this existed, and I can't express my gratitude for how they are selflessly serving the patients. Praise God for them!

Thanks for your prayers! We still need them and are soo thankful! Thank you also for your comments. We were finally able to check out a computer from the fisher house, so the blogs should be consistent again (unless Grey's Anatomy comes on again J/K). And we can feel like humans and check our emails and stuff again too.

Have a super night! God Bless!

Laura

4 comments :

Penny Warren said...

Hi Huddlestons,
I continue to keep up with the blogs and pray for David. It is awesome to see the progress he is making. I was totally unaware of the recovery process for a brain injury, it is amazing and the brain is amazing. Our bodies are truly made by God, how else could they work the way they do, and heal the way they do. And remember, God gives us grace sufficient for one day at a time.
Grace to you,
Penny

The Savvy Moms Guide said...

Hello there David, Patty, Laura and Sweet Brea (Bryn too). It sounds like so much progress is being made on your healing and rehabilitation David, we are so glad to hear that you are able to get up and move around the facility. It really sounds like all of the therapies are challenging but becoming increasingly manageable, we love that you are balancing on one foot because that is more than Jeff and I can do!!! Laura and Patty, thank you for sharing with us about each of the therapies and therapists, nurses, Dr’s etc, it sounds like everyone is so amazing and they are really a blessing. You are doing such a wonderful job on taking care of all of David’s needs and are so eloquently sharing in the days events with us. David reading your blog is part of our morning, mid day and evening routine, we are so encouraged by your strength and determination. You are all so very amazing and a blessing not only to one another but to all of us who know and love you. We pray for you daily. Sweet dreams and wishes for another great day tomorrow.

Patricia Bennett said...

How awesome and wonderful that you are being blessed in so many ways. It is hard to be patient but it will be so rewarding in the end as you are already seeing!

Anonymous said...

Hello David and ALL!!
Dad and I are down visiting with with Annette, Bob, Henry and Dorothy for the week. We have made it to Trader Joe's. Annette and I visited some awesome yarn shops yesterday and Costco shopping and hot dogs for lunch was the big event for today. Our cards are hot and being well used. You are very much in our prayers and topic of praises and we read and share about your progress.

Keep up the good efforts!!!

Joyful Jan