Wednesday, October 24, 2007

3:20 pm (California time)

Mom just called to give us an update. So this is what we know: he still has a fever that they are treating with Tylenol to bring it down to a moderate level. They've played with his pain meds to keep him from getting agitated. His physical therapist came in today and David was cooperative, which means his body didn't seem as tight and he was a little more relaxed. He did good on his left arm which is his weaker side. When she worked on his feet there was no "toning". This is when his entire leg involuntarily shakes when his foot is moved or pressure is applied to it. They made new splints for his hands that keep them from curling up. The old ones were too big and didn't work very well because he always found ways to wiggle out of them! They found a bed sore on his foot and one on his back. They put a lining inside his boot to prevent the sores from getting worse. The nurses apparently promised my mom that they would stay on top of these better and that the sores wouldn't get any worse. Please add these sores to your list of things to pray for because we know they can get serious and be very uncomfortable for David.

My grandpa has been an amazing support for my mom this whole time and she seems to really enjoy having him by her side. He got to meet some of the people who are staying in the Fisher House where my mom is staying. She said last night they came home late, but some of the people there had made Chinese food for dinner and they shared with my mom and grandpa. They also got to talk more with some of the residents, which in the past have been really encouraging.

My mom's friend from their Little Church, Rose Manning, (Kelli's mom), is flying into DC sometime around 8pm DC time. She comes bearing gifts from several of my mom's friends back home! Rose is an emergency room RN at Loma Linda Hospital and has been very helpful to my family when we have questions about David's condition. It will be great to have her by David's side and act as our interpreter if we need it. Not to mention she is as nutty as my mom and she could really use someone to let loose with!!!

Keep up the prayers! The doctors continue to be impressed with David's recovery, even with the setbacks! Prayer works! The doctors and nurses are doing an amazing job and we know that they are God's hands right now. Pray for them as you continue to pray for David.
Christa

p.s. Mom just texted me that David's fever is up to 102.4 degrees and his white blood cell count is up. Pray pray pray!

4 comments :

The Savvy Moms Guide said...

I just spoke with Laura, it was so good to hear voice and have her explain to me, in all my needed detail (which she was patient enough to do,) all that has happened since the accident. It is so great to hear all of the wonderful progress today brought, Christa thanks for the update. I am glad to hear of the new braces for Davids hands and feet, I know that the boots needed to go. We will pray for the fever to continue to decrease and for the sores to heal. We are keeping you all close in prayer daily. Thank you for all of the updates. God Bless

Anonymous said...

Prayers are on the way. Thank you so much for the updates. I go nuts all day waiting to read the next one. It is nice to hear that a friend of Patty's will be there to help. Know that we all wish we could be the one to be there with you all. We will continue to pray for the fever to go down and the sores to heal. I spoke with a PA I work with and she explained to me a little about the bed sore and how painful they are. Since I heard that I have not quit thinking about or praying for relief for David. Keep up the fight sweetheart we all love you and want you home soon. Our prayers will contiune...always..Our love to you all. Lisa Anderson and family

Betty Lou said...

Oh, Patty, I am praying, praying, praying! For the fever to go, the white count to come back to normal. For the bed sores to heal and those attending David to be more vigilant. I echo Lisa's post.....we are glad you'll have someone there with you and we EACH wish we could be the one to stand and sit with you. Know that we are as close as we can be without being there in person. Please know that we pray about and think about you guys all day long. We so appreciate the updates and we are loving you and David and the whole family so much.
BL

skojis50 said...

My name is Stan and we are friends of mallory's and at our church we are praying for Davids full recovery we asked and I was anoited for him and now we are just thanking God for the Healing. My Daughter Jordyn is six and each day she asks how David is Doing. Gods Prayers are not limited by Location or time he will show us a miricle may God bless you all