Friday, November 23, 2007

1 pm
I know it is early for a blog, but it has been a great day! First, David's respiratory therapist came in and decided that on Monday we could cap his trachea. I suggested "patiently" that we should try it today! He agreed after a bit of bribing. Not really, no bribing. OT came in and we decided to put David in the wheelchair. So I learned how to transfer him from the bed to the chair, a piece of cake. And they thought it would take all week....... OK, so, David is in the wheelchair and his trachea is blocked, which means he is breathing out his nose and mouth. When he coughs it sounds like DAVID! YEAH! But then we are encouraging him to make some sounds, and he tried and made some type of sounds. Now, we hand him my phone and ask him if he wants to call someone.....he dialed my phone number by himself!!!!!!! Then we hand him Steve's cell phone and ask him to dial my number....he dialed Steve's number!!!! Next I called him and he answered the call. He tried again to make some noises. Then he tried to call Brian, his brother-in-law from the "contacts". He knows what he is doing! Also..... we found out at noon that he is clear from the bacteria that was keeping him in isolation. He got to go outside!!!! He loved it. Bella and Brea finally got to give David hugs. They were so excited, and David just put his arm out to get the girls. David helped roll the wheelchair and used his foot to help steer. We helped him but it won't be long. They laughed at me when I asked for a motorized wheelchair that he could handle all controls with his right hand. The reason being to not get him an expensive, personalized one is that they want him up and walking. That sounds good too. But he could really get around NOW with a motorized one! (I know, patience!)We stayed out there for 30-45 minutes until Speech Therapy came to get him and take him inside where he wouldn't be distracted. We are THRILLED! This is a day to be thankful! God is sooooo good and faithful! Thank you God! Love ya all! Will write later with more happenings from today! If I have your email, I'll be sending you a picture from today. If you don't get one, email me back so I can put you on this computer's email address. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you have my email or not so here it is: pbolesworth@gmail.com or pattyb@sandalschurch.com

Anonymous said...

how exciting! Thanks for the updates. I'm glad my parents got to go out there. Still prayin!

Anonymous said...

Hi Huddlestons,
I am so excited to read about David's progress today! :) I will continue to be a prayer warrior for your entire family. My email is JohnandJoni1983@aol.com and I look forward to getting a picture of David!
Joni Dunnington

Anonymous said...

i know im a little late for the comment, but im one of david's friends from back home in Riverside. i wanted to know if you are able to send one of those photos to me. my email is
bigjukes24@sbcglobal.net. thanks alot for all the updates.

Erwin