Tuesday, November 6th, 2007

7 PM Washington D.C. time.

We got to the hospital to find David awake but kind of quiet. Quiet in his actions (calm) but maybe emotionally depressed. Or maybe just drugged a bit, but it seemed to last all day. We talked to him about his amazing progress and how we were proud of him and his fighting attitude. Also about God's faithfulness in healing him, and how this condition was temporary. We prayed with him throughout the day for God's hope, peace and healing.

Patty tried to set the ground rules for communication with David. Thumbs up and no thumbs up. David was not interested, and did not respond. She tried different forms of communication, all of which had the same result. Later though she asked for a hug and David gave her a big one armed hug.

I tried playing with a (bicycle) horn (paper stuffed inside to mute it so other ICU patients don't have coronaries) with David without much response. But I made a popping noise with my mouth and David moved his lips as if he were making the same sound. No sound came out, but with his tracea it wouldn't anyway. But it was the first time that we have noticed him deliberately moving his mouth. I felt like it was an important step, and I pray that God continues to restore this part of David.

As of 7PM Tues. the military has not scheduled David for tomorrows flight to Palo Alto. We have dropped off 2 suitcases for David and Patty at the medical air evacuation office hoping that we get a call at any hour tonight telling us that they can get on the plane. As frustrating as this is we have to believe that when it is God's perfect timing we will go.

Please continue to keep David in your prayers. We thank you for your faithfulness.

Steve

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how hard it must be - all of the waiting. I used to wonder why God would so often ask me to wait for things until what seemed, the last minute. Now, like you said, I realize that His will is ALWAYS done - right on time.

Day and Night in prayer for you!

By the way, I lost one of the messages I thought I'd sent to you saying that I was so glad to hear that you are taking moments to get away and get refreshed. When I was with O.M. in France I got so weary at times and home sick. I loved a verse that I read in the Psalms, "Oh that I had wings like a dove I would fly away and be at rest. I would hasten to my place of refuge from the stormy wind and tempest". I pray you are finding places of refuge, especially in His presence!

We love you!

Kathy (for Michael and I)

sally said...

Hi Steve and Patty,

I talked to Judy C. a week or so ago and learned for the first time of David's accident. He and you all are definitely in my prayers. Thanks for the blog updates. I am truly amazed at the progress David has been making.

Sally McGill

Anonymous said...

HHHHHHBNMJKBMM,MBMMM,M,MJMBJJKBKKKMMM,BMVBMKKOGGGGGGGGGHGGHHIEKKKJHLLH,H.LLKKLKLHKJKJJKLGMG;KJKJGKJLFJJJJKJKJJKJKJJKJGHKJJJHHHB B BNNBJJJKCJKJKJJJJKJVJJVJBJJKJJ

(translation:)
Mama, Papa and David... I miss you sooo much! I love you so much. You are my BEST friend. Maybe I could see you, tomorrow or something. Since you didn't go trick or treating yet I can bring you some candy! Trick or treating is on Thursday and you can go on Thursday. I love you. I pray for you every day. Night Night! Love, Bella"

Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad,
Hang in there, he's been doing so good the last few days and has done so much. He was bound to have a day of rest and recouperation. My constant prayer is that God is just ministering to him in his restful times. He is healing him physically, but He also needs David to be still before Him as He restores him mentally and spiritually. I just know that God has such big plans for David and He is using this time to prepare David for all of it. It is obvious that God is using you both in the situation to minister to so many through the blog and to the amazing people there at Walter Reed and the Fisher House. Make sure that you are still taking time for your own restoration. God has so much to say and teach us all through this. Keep your faith, even on days like this when it is SO hard. I love you mom and dad! Give David big hugs and lots of kisses for me. You guys are seriously the best parents in the whole world!
Love, Christa

Anonymous said...

Steve and Patty, again my thoughts and prayers are with you and David. Keep up the vigilance and positive attitude.

On a side note, Steve, thanks for your perspective on seeing that Vietnam War Memorial--it came through Santa Cruz a few years ago in a smaller version. If you get a chance go back and look at Jack Stagsdale's name (from ag class). Talk about Heavy! Also Rene Zimmerlie is on there as well.

Mark

Anonymous said...

We have been unable to check the site for the last few days. I fell like I missed out on some great progress. I checked it today and soo much has happened. We are excited about David's progress. And his trip outside. That must have meant so much to him. Also your trip to Palo Alto, that is really getting close. God is not yet ready for you there. But soon. Everything has it's moment. Our prayers are with you. Keep the faith.