Thursday, November 1, 2007

11:00 D.C. time

Wow! Again we see God's hand as David improved again today. We went shopping and bought some exciting toys for David to hold and identify. He surpassed that trick. He is starting to see again. When we walked in, he was wide awake. I handed him a banana and laid an orange, lemon, lime, and a slinky on his lap. He felt the banana for awhile and then tried to bite it, peel and all. Remember, he can't have anything by mouth yet. I scratched the citrus fruit and told him to smell them. He did! Steve held one of the fruits up in front of David at arms reach. David picked it up out of his hand! Several times he grabbed items that we were holding on his right side. After wrestling the banana out of his clenched hand so he wouldn't eat it, I presented the sponge toothbrush with some water. He took it out of my hand and put it in his mouth (he hasn't been unclenching his jaws until tonight)! I gave him a small dixie cup with water to refill his sponge, and he took the water cup from my hand to drink. Again, we wrestled and finally he sucked dry several sponges full of water! Of course, after a few minutes of excitement, David started breathing weird and I had to get the nurse. Scary! The trachea tube was clogged and after suctioning and changing the tube, he was o.k.! The problem wasn't from him drinking the water! The nurse said he would note to the dr. that David was choosing the edible items to eat and wanting to drink now. They will have to do an x-ray to check his swallowing capabilities. Then I guess he can eat and drink! I also got a punching ball and David played with it slowly. He was able to grasp the small belly button on the back side and pull it so that it hit us too! I've seen some pained expressions on his face but he isn't finding humor openly yet! Can't wait for the smiles and him to say "mommie" again! :-) I don't think it'll be too long! Steve and I were so excited tonight about David's sight starting to come back. When I gave him a slinky to hold and play with, he seemed to be tracking some too! Hallelulia!!!!!!! Isn't God good?! Thank you Lord. (My vision of Chester being a guide dog was a bit disturbing! Can you even imagine that 120 pound retriever walking into a restaurant or store!) Now that is funny! Keep up the faith and remember that God has David in His hand, along with all of us. Make sure you tell your loved ones how much you love and appreciated them too! Thanks to all of you again for your prayers and encouragement. TTYS Love to all, Patty

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

Yeah God! Yeah David! Wow! Every day is an adventure. He gives strength to the weary and power to the faint. Perservere Huddlestons, you are loved and lifted daily!!!

Mike and Kathy

Anonymous said...

YEAH DAVID!!! We are soooo proud of you!!! Keep up that fight sweetheart you are doing awesome. You brought tears to my eyes as I read all about what a wonderful day you all have had. I know God has David in his hand (as well as all of you). My faith keeps getting stronger through all of you and my daily talks with God. David we love you and look forward to visiting with you soon. Thank you GOD. We love you all, stay strong and we hope to hear more good news tomorrow. :) Hugs and oh for you David back rubs....We all know how David loves his mommie to rub/scratch his back. Our Love to all,
Lisa Anderson & Family

Anonymous said...

Steve & Patty! TBN had a wonderful program tonight to honor those in the Armed Services and wondered if you are able to get TBN during the day? They will repeat tonight's program tomorrow at 2 pm. Dave Roever, Bob Wieland, Chaplain (Major) Jonathan Etterbeek, J.R. Martinez, Brian Fleming were speakers. Dave Roever
was the last speaker and I am sure you would enjoy his humor. Most of the men had received the Purple Heart and had wonderful testimonies. The Marine chaplain from Camp pendleton came and brought 25 young Marines and many of their wives. I am so excited about David's progress today! What a praise report. God is good...all the time! Love you all and can't wait to be with you. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news. I is nice to see the Lord continue to work and heal David. I think the many things that David is once again able to feel and see is a great sign. I learned in one of my PT classes that a stress ball for his muscle interactions can be great and it can also can help his Brain help to fire his reflexes. Just be aware that he may throw it at one of you guys! We will continue to keep praying for David and the entire Huddleston family. My new prayer for David is that he may eat on his own soon. This can really help his progress and also with his bedside PT.

The Kolb Family

gary h said...

Patty: we may have to trade retrievers!!! Thank you LORD GOD for your love and healing touch!!!
Wonderful news Steve and Patty!

Anonymous said...

Everytime I come here and read about David's progress I am encouraged by his progress and your faith, tears too. Keep it up and we'll keep praying. God is so Awesome! Debbie Huewe

Rosehud said...

Good morning,Steve and Patty!!!! Tell the truth, Patty, you bought the toys for whom? Again, so happy with all the good news, I am again praising God silently at my desk! Really awesome David, keep up the good work!!!

Betty Lou said...

Patty and Steve:
God just has 3 reasons to allow suffering: To have others pray for the sufferer; To have the injured and the supporters give thanks to God when the healing is performed and to bring God the Glory.....
We are all right there in the room with you praising David's every little success. Love you so much!
David is doing so well, so fast..we are very encouraged. Praise God!
Betty Lou

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Our Godis an awesome God! We praise the Lord for every bit of progress! Patty, maybe I shouldn't have encouraged you to see the city the other night. You and Steve are actually his therapists already..and he hasn't even gone to the rehab yet. Goes to show how much I don't know. You are getting to see the mighty hand at work each day. What could be better than that. Love and prayers, and a big hug to David.

Violet and Randy