Tuesday, November 20th, 2007

11:30 PM
David was sleepy again today since he didn't fall asleep untill 4:00 AM. He started waking up around 11:00 AM. Just like his old schedule!
It was great to visit and pray with Travis Osbourne this morning. We love seeing friends and family. Speaking of family, Christa, Bella, and Tobey arrived by car around 3 PM. Laura and Brea arrived at 3 PM at the airport. Tonight, Mike flew in around 10 PM. Now all we're missing is Brian, who will arrive tomorrow.
Today David and the therapists worked on transfering him from the bed to the wheelchair, where he stayed for an hour. After I talked to a VA rep, I went back in the room and handed David the magnadoodle. I told him to sign his name while I was busy with someone else, ha ha. Well, when I turned around, I saw that he had written what appeared to be his signature for his first name. It looked pretty good considering that he always had messy handwriting! I was shocked! I erased it and tried again, but didn't get anything the second time. I wished I had taken a picture of it before I erased it. Later, I was playing with the magnetic letters and wrote "shop" and "cart". I asked him to point to each one and he did! Tomorrow, I am going to figure out how much he can read!!!!!
Christa and Laura spent a lot of time with David this afternoon. They were excited that he was tracking them in the room, recognized each of them, and looked so much better in the three weeks since they had seen him last.
Today was the second day of a negative culture for the aci...bactrim bacteria to show up. If it turns up negative for the third culture in a couple days, we won't have to wear the "blue prom dresses" aka gowns, and gloves anymore. The nieces aren't allowed in David's room until he is cleared either. They stood at the door, waved, and said "Hi!" though. Continue praying for the negative culture again please! Also, that we will be able to communicate better with David. He is sooooo frustrated! Us too that we can't help him. Pray for his swallowing reflex to come back so that he can graduate from his trachea and feeding tube. He wants to put everything in his mouth. The dr. said that we could try the Listermint strips that melt in your mouth. Yesterday, I tried to get him to lick a sucker. He grabbed it and put it in his mouth! (He can't have anything by mouth still.) He sucked on it and then took it out when I asked him to. He did that one more time, and then fell asleep. That was a relief, because I didn't think he would give it back, plus if he had bit the sucker....it's possible that he could have aspirated, instead of swallowing....it wouldn't have been good. He is loosing weight and needs to start eating real food: smoothies, In and Out Burgers, ice cream, etc. again! Thanks again for your prayers and support. Hope to see all of you soon! Love, Patty

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! David we are all so proud of you. My signature stinks too. But at least we know he knows what you are talking about and he is trying. i'm sure he loved getting to see his sisters again. He is doing so good. I'm sure he is frustrated but he is continuing to improve. I have learned to reword my prayers and not pray for patiencence (I remember when I did that, I was given additional trials to work through) So I just pray for God to hold your hands and lead you as you work with and David and ease your and his frustrations. I'm sure you are just thankful that your entire family will be together today. We all have so much to be thankful for tomorrow. #1 we still have David. #2 God is here working with David and will not let him down. #3David is continuing to improve. #4-5 and so on....Family, Friends,the doctors and nurses, Health and our soldiers to say a few. We are all praying for you and can't wait to get the green light. Our love to all of you..Enjoy each other and remember to tell each other everyday "I love you". I thank God everyday I still have that to do.
Love, Lisa Anderson and Family

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve & Patti -

I am no very good at putting my words out there for everybody, but just had to let you know how much Jay and I think about David and your whole family. You all are always in our prayers. We are so excited about David's progress. Baby steps grow into bigger steps. The last time I saw David was in our home. Brian was in town on business and David was at the BWI Airport, waiting to leave for Turkey. I came home from work and there was Brian and David in the kitchen. I had not seen David since Brian and Laura's wedding. What a nice yound man he is - very nice to talk to, polite and good looking. Brian loaded him up with movies to take with him. David did not know if he got a meal on the long flight, so I packed a lunch for him. He was so appreciative. I'm so glad you have the whole family with you for Thanksgiving. Wishing all of you a very blessed Thanksgiving. Just know that our prayers are always with you. Glod Bless You All!

Jay & Kay

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Huddelstons,
I am so excited each day to see David's progress, it is nothing short of miraculous! I pray you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving, I am sure you will with so much to be thankful for!
Blessings,
Jeannette Russell

Jo said...

It seems like David is really moving forward. It would be cool to keep a list of all of the prayer requests you have had over the past month and put down the day that prayer was answered... I think it would really knock your socks off, especially in the times when it seems like He isn't working fast enough! Keep up the good work! We are cheering for you all.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about all David's improvements...He surely is our miracle boy! This will be the first time we haven't had Thaksgiving together for years but we probably have more to be thankful for this year than ever before. Did you ever get the CD's I sent to Walter Reed Hospital? It is important to play Scripture CD's even while he is sleeping. I can bring more when I come next week if you need them. I will miss you all this Thursday but am glad the girls are there to celebrate with you. Kive Davie a big kiss for me! And the rest of the family, too. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Steve & Family. We are so happy to hear that David is recovering so well and that you guys were able to return to California. Jeff and I wanted to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers.

Lots of love,
Jeffrey & Sunni Woolf
Universal Rarities