Friday, November 2nd, 2007

10PM Washington DC time

We got to brag about David to the neurologist and the 10 member team of doctors that make their morning rounds. We mentioned that we had an eventful evening with David, and all of the wonderful new things he was doing. They were ready to move him upstairs to an ordinary ward today until I asked if the nurses were able to watch him as close up there. I voiced my concern about his trachea clogging, affecting his breathing, as we witnessed last night when he seemed to gasp for air. They said if they could get a bed next to the nursing station they might still move him, but that they shared my concern.

David seemed fine but a little sleepy this morning, and when the nurse said she was going to bathe and change him Patty and I left and took the Metro train to downtown D.C. to see some national sites. We walked to the White House (they didn't have me on the list to chat with the President, so we left) the Lincoln Memorial, the World War II Memorial, the Viet Nam Memorial and the Washington Monument. That was a lot of walking so we caught a bus back to Union Station (near the Capital building) and rode the Red Line back to our new home. It is hard to leave David, but it was fun to get out. When you are already not "emotionally normal" it was a very tearful event walking past the names of the 58,000 men who gave their lives for our country in the Viet Nam War.

When we saw David tonight he was still in his 'old' room. He had a fever again and seemed like he was not feeling well. We still "played with him" with the fruit and the "large balloon with big rubber band attached" thingy. Like last night, I held the rubber band and he grabbed the 'belly button' end of the balloon and pulled back and when I said "go!" he let go and it hit me in the face. The only thing missing was that there as no expression on his face. But it was still real cool. We know that he can see and respond to commands.

The nurse then told us that they had isolated a germ called acinetobacter in his system that is causing his continued fever. This specific germ is only found in the soil in the Middle East. Apparently we have developed really good medicine to treat this since it is common in Iraq as well as Turkey. He will be on antibiotics for it, but we don't know if it will delay his trip to Palo Alto or not. We will learn more tomorrow morning.

I know that Daniel Wooten (one of David's friends who's hand was hurt in the accident) has been having trouble with his hand not healing properly. Daniel, I wonder if you have this 'germ' also. Please check into it, and we will be praying for you.

Instead of asking you to pray for specific areas of healing for David, I pray that you just ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you what areas to pray for. We appreciate and love all of the prayers and support. Thanks to Twinhill Elementary for all the cool stuff that they sent. Special things from Patty's students and an amazing "care package". We love you all.

Steve

3 comments :

gary h said...

It is wonderful to hear of
david's improvements!!! That bacteria sounded bad at first, not sure if it is a big problem. It was nice to see that Patty and Steve was able to get out and see the sights of D.C. I think that you two need that to help keep your sanity! Your strength through all of this is inspiring!!! We will keep on doing what we can do here. If there is anything you need done at your house, I know you have it watched, but anything extra, let me know, or anything else we can do, let me or Rose know.

Jo said...

Hi Patty and Steve! Christa left me a message that you had a few questions regarding trachs and eating... feel free to call me (she has my cell) and I can try to answer any question you have(seriously... I think we have seen pretty much everything around here!) . Also there is a website that might be of some use: www.tracheostomy.com
Hang in there... sounds like he is really moving in the right direction. Can't wait to hear from you! Ok Gotta go deal with my kid's trach now :)~

-Jo

Anonymous said...

Praise God! For David's improvement; the medical support & facilities, for friends, family, being together, our country and the people that choose to serve our country, the graceful spirit of the posts and comments, the Spirit of God is evident.