Thursday, November 8th, 2007

11:30PM Washington D.C. time.


Today was a great day for David. Here is a list of today's accomplishments: He pointed at stuff, he nodded yes, he 'hi fived' us, he pulled his sock off and (after it was started for him) he pulled it back on, he turned his head and looked at nurses when they spoke to him, he lifted his chin, coughed, stuck out his tongue, and took a deep breath when asked to by the nurses.

The therapists dressed David in a shirt and shorts (like boxers) that had Velcro on the sides but looked normal, and we think it helped him to feel more normal. Patty and I (after helping the therapists-the trained professionals-sit David up yesterday) did the same today by ourselves. It was probably scary for David (he knows us pretty well) but he lived through it. He sat without any one supporting his back for maybe 30 seconds, and I'm sure he could have stayed upright a lot longer, but I didn't want to push it.

Christa and Kelli called to talk to David (he held the receiver and listened) and as they were talking Patty was telling him in the background that if he held his finger over his tracea he could talk to them (say hi). So we helped him by covering his tracea (suffocating him) and saying talk, talk. In spite of us he actually tried moving his mouth a little like he was trying to talk.

It was all very cool! God answered a lot of prayers today, and it increased our faith. We are anxiously waiting for tomorrow.

Things that we would like to see are more movement on his left side, and less agitation (or discomfort) when his meds start to wear off.

We love you all and thanks for your prayers and comments,

Steve

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Wow! God is answering our prayers. Hang in there and we will keep praying for a record breaking recovery.
Love you guys,
Mike and JoAnn

Anonymous said...

Hey, great news! Keep it up David.
Love, Kevin And Jeanna

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT report!!! I can't imagine your encouragement! Thanks for keeping us posted! We'll be praying you through November 9th!
Love you!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the great progress David. We love you and are continually praying for you sweetie!!!
Love the Spoelstra's

Anonymous said...

Patty, Steve & Family,
I was devastated when I first read (in here) about David's accident. There are some things we will never understand why they happen, but God is always good. I am praying that God give you the strength and hope you need every day to help David. David seems to be making great progress. He is blessed to have you for parents. If you need ANYTHING please don't hesitate to ask. I love all of you guys. You will be in my thoughts and prayers daily. (Sorry it took so long to write, I had to figure this blog thing out.) Love Candace (Laster) Akins

Anonymous said...

We are soo happy with the updates. Such great news. Great work David. Thank you for the updates and keep your spirits high. Our thoughts and prayers are with you,

Anonymous said...

I hope Daniel told u already the news but according to my friends at Scott AFB u guys are def. on a flight out to California on Saturday. I am so happy for u and for David too. Finally the extended Family/Friends can be with him and Rehab is going to start. I look at his pictures and he looks just like always like there is nothing wrong at all. I try to feel what u feel because it could have been my son and I feel so much for u...the things u are going thru each day....and I am amazed at how strong u are and although u probably have ur moments ....u bounce back in full effect...I admire the Huddleston Family and I know with that kind of Family background David can only win this war. He is strong and he is young and he has God with him. I just found out that Daniel is going to be flown out to Landstuhl for further treatment and I am so happy to hold my son. Although I feel almost guilty being torn between happiness to see my son and feeling guilty thinking about David. But I am a loving mom just like you and I cannot wait to see my son. I hope u can understand. God bless u and ur Family!