Sunday, November 25, 2007

7:30 PM

You know what? Everyday is so amazing! Today, was nothing less! Miracle after miracle is happening every minute it seems like. David finally woke up around 10 AM for PT, well not really woke up. He seemed pretty drugged up. But he helped with getting into the wheelchair, and wheeling down to the PT gym. First he stood at a table for 10 minutes with the PT behind him so that he wouldn't buckle at the knees. Steve and I kept him busy with playing catch, shooting the dart gun, tried dice, and some cards. He did well through most of it. Then after taking a 10 minute break, he walked 6 feet, with help through the parallel bars that he held on to with his right hand. One therapist stood in front of him, the wheelchair with the feeding tube behind him, another therapist helping to move his left foot (90%), and me in front of him saying "Walk to mommy!" Steve, of course, was videotaping! We were so excited to see him upright. He needed so much help, but......it was another milestone. We got to experience that twice with a break in-between where I read him some of your blogs. Now, you can write them to David! When we arrived back at the room, he was tuckered out and slept from 11:30-3:30. We got a call that he was awake and went back to find him ready to show us how much he could talk. The girls, Christa and Laura, took him to find a computer in the hospital with internet. There he told them what his email address was. He corrected Laura when she typed bikerman169@yahoo.com. He used his fingers on his right hand to show her 2-0-0-5. Sure enough, when she checked, he was right! Then we tried for probably 40 minutes to understand what seems to be a complicated password. He was writing numerals and the word "shift", and saying "no shift" and talking very clearly but quietly. The nurse at one point, tried to tell David he had to leave his seatbelt on when he was undoing it and straightening himself in the chair. He told her, "I have to adjust myself. My right butt cheek hurts!" Then we tried helping him and he said he wanted "pillows" not a blanket. When I went to get the pillows, he told Christa, "Thanks for getting me the blanket." Then gave her a hug! (Isn't that the sweetest?) After awhile of working on the password, he pushed himself away from the computer and said, "I need to take a break to think about my password." Christa wheeled him outside. They tossed the football to each other, David throwing and even catching it one time! After a few minutes, he said he wanted to go inside. Once inside, another nurse, Mike, met him to put his left arm brace on. He was very cooperative and even tried to help put it back on. Then he told us he wanted to go back to his room. Wheeling back to the room, he made a 3 point turn (sorta running into us all) to turn around. He was getting pretty pooped out and needed a break, so we all left and came across the street to the Fisher House where everyone had helped make a delicious ham dinner. The families here are amazing. We are laughing and having a great time with several families. Another miracle...we ARE laughing and doing well! This is exciting to watch how fast David is being healed. The nurses are excited and amazed at his progress also. They are so amazing with David. They treat him like a person and we appreciate that, ya know! Thanks for all of your prayers and remember to write TO DAVID now on the BLOG GUESTBOOK, OR COMMENTS. I think he might be able to read them. Pretty cool, huh! Love ya all. We can't do this without your prayers and support, or GOD! THANK YOU! (Don't you wonder what will happen tomorrow?....... to be continued.....Monday! Patty

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hello, David and Family. You are doing incredibly well. I get caught up in the enthusiasm of your blog. And I see so much love and energy coming from your family. No wonder you are the strong character that you are! More love and prayers, Ellen Verloop and my home group

Anonymous said...

David, you are already our miracle boy so slow down so I can see what God is still doing when I come next Friday. I keep comparing how you are doing to how Bob responed after his stroke but there is no comparison! You are way beyond him! Our church is so excited about your recovery but also the love and support of your family. Love, Grandma Haldin

Anonymous said...

Hey David!! You are doing so good, how fun it is to watch you and cheer you on. You are so strong and doing so amazingly well!! Keep working hard, I know you will continue on and get stronger and be able to accomplish more each day. Pretty soon you will remember that darn password. Good job and keep up the hard work , I can't wait each day to see how you are doing and all the new things you are able to do and I am excited to see how much more you are able to do the next time we can see you. I thank God for you!!!!Guess what? I can't remember my google password,as i was trying to post this and I 've redone it several times... so i have to be anonymous...Your aunt Rose

Anonymous said...

Hey David!! You are doing so good, how fun it is to watch you and cheer you on. You are so strong and doing so amazingly well!! Keep working hard, I know you will continue on and get stronger and be able to accomplish more each day. Pretty soon you will remember that darn password. Good job and keep up the hard work , I can't wait each day to see how you are doing and all the new things you are able to do and I am excited to see how much more you are able to do the next time we can see you. I thank God for you!!!!Guess what? I can't remember my google password, so i have to be anonymous...Your aunt Rose

Annette said...

Hey David. Don't get to frustrated over the password. I can't remember mine either!! It was great seeing you this weekend. You are doing awesome! I will see you soon. Love you! Annette

Anonymous said...

David...! I went to Ralph's last night to buy milk and oreos for someone and I thought of you and when I used to always meet up with you when you were on break at the movie theater and we'd buy milk and oreos. I even used your home phone to get the "Ralph's Club Card price" like we used to - don't tell your mom though ;) - I love you friend!